Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
- Primary Practice Focus
Rand Bragg takes an active role in advocating consumer interests before the courts, Congress and administrative agencies.
Rand Bragg brings decades of experience as a consumer law advocate to the clients of Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates. Rand has devoted his nationwide practice to protecting the rights of consumers, especially through class action lawsuits that involve abuse by third-party debt collectors. Such a collector is not the original business or employee of the business where an obligation arose, but an outside collector who becomes involved later on. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act protects consumers from abusive practices and provides remedies when third-party collectors overstep the boundaries of the law.
- How Should You Choose A Lawyer?
In addition to the above, Rand has prosecuted cases on behalf of consumers against firms such as:
- General Electric Capital Auto Lease
- Diversified Collection Services
- Midwest Billing Services
- Finance Service of Norwalk
- Payco-General American Credit
- Credit Bureau, Inc.
- American Credit Exchange
- Transworld Systems
- National Telewire Corp.
- Online Information Services
- GC Services
- First Credit Resources
- Surety Acceptance Corp.
- Equifax Check Services
- First Credit Resources
- Rapid Collection Systems
- In Depth Look
Raised in north central Pennsylvania and central West Virginia, Rand attended Fairmont State College in Fairmont, W. Va., and West Virginia University College of Law in Morgantown.
Before he joined Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates in the late 1990s, Rand was a solo consumer law practitioner. Earlier in his career, he was the litigation coordinator of the United Auto Workers Services Plan in Newark, Del.; the executive director of Lehigh Valley Legal Services in Allentown, Pa.; the deputy director of Northern Pennsylvania Legal Services in Scranton, and a project director for the Senior Citizens Law Project at the Pennsylvania Legal Services Center.
- Honors and Awards
In December 2006, the National Association of Consumer Advocates honored Rand with its Consumer Attorney of the Year award. The 1,500-member association, which takes an active role in advocating consumer interests before the courts, Congress, and administrative agencies, recognized Rand as a NACA member who had “done particularly outstanding work on behalf of consumers.” Since 2008, Rand has been named continuously an Illinois Super Lawyer for his work in consumer class actions.
- Professional Associations
Rand is a founding member of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, where he served on the board of directors from 1995 to 2000. He also has served as a consumer advocate adviser for Consumer Financial Services Law Report, a newsletter for consumer financial services litigators.
- Appellate and Supreme Court Arguments
Among the federal cases Rand has taken on to benefit consumers are lawsuits challenging such practices as debt collection abuse, credit repair organization misconduct, improper credit reporting practices and truth-in-lending misrepresentations. Recent examples include:
- Anchondo v. Anderson, Crenshaw & Associates, L.L.C., — F.3d —, 2010 WL —, 2010 U.S.App. LEXIS 17105 (10th Cir., Aug. 16, 2010)
- Rannis v. Recchia, 2010 WL 2124096, 2010 U.S. App. LEXIS 10858 (9th Cir., May 27, 2010)
- Imperial Merchant Services, Inc. v. Hunt, 580 F.3d 893 (9th Cir. 2009)
- Imperial Merchant Services, Inc. v. Hunt, 47 Cal.4th 381, 212 P.3d 736 (Cal. 2009)
- Hunt v. Imperial Merchant Services, Inc., 560 F.3d 1137 (9th Cir. 2009)
- Durham v. Continental Cent. Credit, 2010 WL 2776088 (S.D.Cal., July 14, 2010)
- del Campo v. Am. Corrective Counseling Serv., Inc., — F.Supp.2d —, 2010 WL 2473586, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 62060 (N.D.Cal., June 3, 2010)
- Silva v. Patenaude & Felix, P.C., 2010 WL 2000523, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 50758 (N.D.Cal., May 12, 2010)
- Arlozynski v. Rubin & Debski, P.A., — F.Supp.2d —, 2010 WL 1849081, 2010 U.S. Dist.LEXIS 45091 (M.D.Fla., May 7, 2010)
- Drossin v. National Action Financial Services, Inc., 641 F.Supp.2d 1314 (S.D.Fla. 2009) (summary judgment)
- Acik v. I.C. System, Inc., 640 F.Supp.2d 1019 (N.D.Ill. 2009) (summary judgment)
- Bogner v. Masari Investments, LLC, 257 F.R.D. 529 (D.Ariz. 2009)
- Publications and Presentations
- Author, “Fair Debt Collection Practices Act,” Chapter 5, Ohio Consumer Law, 1995-2010
- Speaker, “Fair Debt Collection Practices Act,” National Consumer Rights Litigation Conference, 1991-2009
- Contributing author (since 1989), Fair Debt Collection, National Consumer Law Center, 2008 6th edition and annual supplements
- Speaker, “Fair Debt Collection Practices Act,” Practicing Law institute, 2007, 2000
- Speaker, “Fair Debt Collection Practices Act,” Chicago Bar Association, Oct. 11, 2001, Oct. 8, 1999, and Sept. 20, 1996
- Speaker, “Fair Debt Collection Practices Act,” Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, June 6, 1996
- Co-author with Daniel A. Edelman, “Fair Debt Collection: The Need for Private Enforcement,” Loyola Consumer Law Reporter, Spring 1995
- Speaker, Intensive Trial Advocacy Program, Widener University College of Law, Wilmington, Del., 1988-’93
- West Virginia University (J.D., 1973)
- Fairmont State College (B.S., 1970)
- Illinois, 1994
- Delaware, 1987
- Pennsylvania, 1974
- West Virginia, 1973
- U.S. District Court: Northern District of Illinois, Central District of Illinois, Southern District of Illinois, Southern District of West Virginia, Middle District of Pennsylvania, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, District of Delaware, Northern District of New York, Western District of New York, Western District of Michigan, Eastern District of Michigan, Eastern District of Wisconsin, Western District of Wisconsin, Northern District of Texas, District of Colorado, Northern District of Indiana, District of Nebraska
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court