• Call Today For A



        What type of medical benefits am I entitled to after I’m injured?

        150 150 Marc Perper
        Chicago's Top Injury Lawyers

        Marc A. Perper, a principal partner and lead trial attorney at Horwitz Horwitz & Associates answers a listener’s question on Free Legal Advice Friday’s:

        What type of medical benefits am I entitled to after I’m injured?

        The Illinois Workers’ Compensation Law entitles you to emergency treatment, plus treatment from the first two medical providers of your choice.

        That actually means, potentially, more than two medical providers.

        The reason is, if a doctor or a provider refers you to another provider that doesn’t count as a new choice.

        So you’re entitled to any doctor of your choice plus any number of doctors to whom you might be referred within that chain of referrals. And in addition, an entirely separate choice of doctor plus any number of providers to whom your referred in that second chain of referrals.

        If you have a compensable workers’ compensation case, your employer or its insurance company has to pay for all that treatment subject to reasonableness, necessity, and causality.

        That means your medical treatment has to be reasonable and necessary to cure or relieve the effects of the injury, and it has to be related to the injury.

        If you choose another doctor outside those first two referral chains and it’s not emergency room treatment, the employer does not have to pay.

        What's the first thing I should do when I get hurt?

        Clifford W. Horwitz answers the Free Legal Advice Friday listener’s question: what’s the first thing I should when I get hurt?

        CBS Chicago Free Legal Advice Fridays

        Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates sponsors and provides content for Free Legal Advice on CBSChicago.com.

        CBS Radio listeners are invited to submit legal questions to Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates.

        The Chicago personal injury lawyers, Chicago workers’ compensation lawyers, and Chicago nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers, at Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates are ready to hear your questions regarding these matters.

        • 0
        Marc Perper

        Marc Perper

        Marc Perper is a partner with the firm of Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates, Ltd., with offices in Chicago and Joliet. Since 1984, he has represented injured workers at the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, in Circuit Court, and before the Illinois Appellate Court and the Illinois Supreme Court. Mr. Perper frequently speaks on workers’ compensation issues to consumer groups, labor organizations, advocacy groups for the disabled and at bar organization seminars. He is a former member (withdrawn in good standing) of Service Employees’ International Union Local 236 (now Local 1).

        All stories by: Marc Perper

        Leave a Reply

        Your email address will not be published.