How do I Choose a Wrongful Death Lawyer?
Wrongful Death - October 1, 2021
If you have lost somebody that you care about as a result of the negligent or intentional actions of someone else in Illinois, you may be able to recover compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit. Here, we want to define wrongful death claims in Illinois and look at how you can go about choosing the right attorney to handle every aspect of your claim. It is crucial that you find a partner that you are comfortable with because this attorney will be someone that you work with very closely throughout the entire case.
Look at an Attorney’s Background
Chances are, you probably do not know many people who have had to work with an attorney for a wrongful death case. That is okay. Your search may begin online through Google or another type of search engine. When you begin your search for wrongful death attorneys, make sure to look in your area. You do not want to have to go far for your free consultations or while your case is ongoing.
There are various factors that you need to consider when looking for the right wrongful death lawyer for your situation. These factors can include:
- How long the attorney has practiced personal injury or wrongful death
- The overall track record of settlements and jury verdicts
- How many major wrongful death cases the attorney has settled or won in court
- How often the attorney settles the case out of court versus how often they go to trial
- Whether the attorney is a member of any bar associations or professional organizations
Asking the Right Questions
Most wrongful death attorneys in Chicago, Illinois will offer free initial consultations. When you go over the details of your case during your first consultation with an attorney, you also want to ask the attorney directly what they think about your case. Some of these questions can include:
- What is your assessment of my case?
- How much compensation do you think we can expect to recover?
- What works in favor and what works against us for this case?
- Do you think this case will be resolved through settlement or at trial?
- How long do you think this case will last?
Verify an Attorney’s Experience
You are going to want to verify the experience of any attorney you are thinking of working with. You can go to the Illinois State Bar Association’s website to find the Illinois Lawyer Finder to find a directory listing any licensed attorney in Illinois.
You will also want to conduct an Internet search using the attorney’s name. You should look for any positive or negative stories that may pop up as well as any reviews from independent sites. Avoid strictly relying on the reviews on the attorney’s personal website.
You need to ensure that you have an open line of communication with any attorney you are thinking of working with. The reality is that the best way to ensure that you are comfortable with your claim is by knowing that you will be able to get ahold of your attorney at any point while the case is ongoing. A wrongful death attorney in Illinois to be good at communicating with their clients. They should be able to keep families and the estate in the loop at all times. A good attorney will listen to any concerns and answer any questions you have to the best of their ability.