What should I do if I was injured in a car accident with no health insurance?

Car accident injuries don’t discriminate between those who do and those who don’t have health insurance. You could suffer an injury in a crash and be on the hook to pay for it even if you don’t have health insurance. The good news is, you still have options to obtain the medical attention you need without having to pay the full amount out-of-pocket.

The skilled attorneys with Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates can help you understand your options and help you obtain compensation if you’re not to blame for the accident. Contact us online or call (800) 985-1819 for a free review of your case.

injured in car accident no health insurance

You have a right to receive emergency medical attention

It’s very important you realize that you have the right to receive medical help in an emergency room if you were injured in a car accident, even if you don’t have health insurance. Congress enacted the Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act in 1986 to make sure people could receive medical help even if they couldn’t pay.

Under the Act, medical personnel must screen patients and provide them with the help necessary to stabilize their condition. However, this doesn’t mean they’re required to provide the treatment needed for the patient to resume their normal activities. Also, hospitals can still send bills to patients and can send the account to collections if payment isn’t received.

Options you may be able to pursue


If you don’t have insurance, you could try to obtain coverage through Medicaid, the federal program that provides insurance to qualified individuals. If you qualify, Medicaid might pay your past and current medical expenses.

MedPay coverage

If you have car insurance, you may also have medical payments coverage, also known as MedPay. Although MedPay isn’t required, it’s typically a low-cost coverage option available through your auto insurance. It often costs only around $10 a month, but it covers a portion of a car accident victim’s medical bills. MedPay usually covers not only drivers but also their passengers – regardless of who was to blame.

Payment arrangements with a healthcare provider

If you’ve suffered an injury in a car accident, you might be able to obtain medical treatment by arranging a payment plan with your doctor. There are several medical professionals who will provide ongoing treatment and delay payment until you receive your settlement or jury award.

In most cases, the doctor will ask you to sign a contract placing a lien on your future settlement or award. If you choose to enter into this type of arrangement, it’s essential you know a lien is legally binding and you’ll still be responsible for the cost of your treatment even if your case isn’t successful. As a result, you should ask your lawyer to read it closely before you sign.

Injured in a car accident with no health insurance? We can help.

If you would like to learn more, please get in touch with a Chicago car accident attorney from Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates as soon as you can. We’ll tell you more about how we may be able to help if you’ve been injured in a car accident with no health insurance.

You can give us a call at (800) 985-1819 to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys, or you can use our online contact form.