What should I do when a traffic light is out?

Whether you were involved in a crash at an intersection with a broken light or simply want to know what to do in that situation, the legal team with Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates is happy to help. Our skilled Chicago car accident lawyers can help you navigate the legal process and hold the at-fault driver accountable for their actions. Keep reading to learn what to do when a traffic light is out, then call (800) 985-1819 or contact us online to schedule your free consultation.

what to do when a traffic light is out

What to do when a traffic light is out

When a traffic light is not working at an intersection, you should treat that light like a four-way stop. This means that all drivers must stop at the light before moving into the intersection. The first one to the light has the right to go after that full stop occurs. If two cars come together at the intersection at about the same time, the driver to the right has the legal right away.

A driver who comes to a light that is not working properly has to yield at that moment to all other drivers that are within that intersection or approaching the intersection road. Simply stop, pay attention to who was there before you, and proceed once you see the area is clear.

Who to call when traffic lights are out

Malfunctioning traffic signals will happen from time to time, and there is no way to prevent them from malfunctioning. In other words, unless the city knew the light was not working and did not take action, it is up to you, the driver, to be cautious. That being said, reporting a broken or malfunctioning traffic light or pedestrian crossing signal can help save lives.

City of Chicago

If you notice a broken or malfunctioning traffic light while driving in Chicago, dial 311 to report it to the City. You can also report an outage on the CHI311 website.

Please note that you can also report out-of-order pedestrian crossing signals via CHI311.

What to do if a traffic light is out and you are involved in an accident

When this happens, call the police, file a full police report, and gather the names and contact information of all witnesses. Take photos of the incident and surrounding area if possible and safe to do. Then, get the medical care you need.

Once you do that, call Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates. We can help determine who is at fault and what type of compensation may be owed to you. If we can show the other driver failed to yield the right of way to you, they may be responsible for your medical losses and other injuries.

Our goal will be to gather as much information as possible to prove your losses. A traffic light being out may seem like such a simple thing, but when an error occurs and someone suffers significant injuries, it is critical to seek out legal guidance to help ensure you get the compensation owed to you.

Contact Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates at (800) 985-1819 for a free consultation to discuss your case. Let our legal team help you learn your rights.

Related articles for further reading