What should I do if my employer gives me a light duty job offer?

As a general rule, we recommend that you accept light duty. However, every case is different. Depending on your unique circumstances, it may not be in your best interest to accept light duty. Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates can help you with your workers’ comp light duty case. The legal team of dedicated Chicago workers’ compensation…

Do I need to report my work injury?

Mitchell W. Horwitz, a principal partner and head of the workers’ compensation department at Horwitz Horwitz & Associates answers a listener’s question on Free Legal Advice Friday’s: Should I report my injury at work to my employer? Yes, you should report it.

Am I Covered by Workers’ Compensation in Illinois? – Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act

  Who Operates Under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act? In order for an injured worker to receive workers’ compensation benefits, the employer must be operating under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act. Three types of employers are “under the Act”: government employers; employers who elect to bring themselves under the Act; and employers who are subject…

Can My Employer Send Me to a Company Doctor for Evaluation?

Question: Can my employer send me to a company doctor for evaluation?

What Doctors Can I Go To Under the Workers’ Compensation Act in Illinois?

If you were injured at work, you should always ask, “What doctor can I go to under workers’ compensation in Illinois?”  Below, we cover some of the key things you need to know before making your way to a doctor for your work-related injury. It is always a good idea to consult with an experienced…

What if My Employer or its Insurance Company Wants to Tape or Record Me, Either by Phone or in Person?

Question: What if my employer or its insurance company wants to tape or record me, either by phone or in person?

Can My Employer or its Insurance Company Speak with My Doctor when I am not Present?

  Question: Can my employer or its insurance company speak with my doctor when I am not present?

Can I get Re-Trained so I can Earn What I Used to Earn Before My Accident?

  Question: I am no longer able to perform my normal job as a result of my injury at work.  I can’t earn what I used to earn because I can’t do my normal job.   Can I get re-trained so I can earn what I used to earn before my accident?  Can I get wage…

Can Medicare Take a Portion of My Worker’s Comp Lump Sum Settlement?

  Question: I am eligible for a lump sum settlement from a work-comp injury.  I am 63, and I am receiving Social Security retirement benefits.  My attorney told me that Medicare would take a portion of my settlement if the amount were over $250,000.  Is that correct?  The lawyer states that this amount will be…

Am I Covered By Workers’ Comp Out of State?

Question: I was injured while working in another state, where the benefits are poor? Is there any way I can be covered under Illinois Workers’ Compensation?