Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
- Primary Practice Focus
As Principal Partner and lead trial lawyer of Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates, Cliff has devoted his entire career to achieving justice for those who have been victimized by corporate negligence. He has won numerous jury verdicts amounting to many hundreds of millions of dollars in awards for his clients. In addition to securing what was the highest personal injury jury verdict of all time in Illinois for an individual, over 25% of his verdicts have been record-setting. Cliff engages in cases that focus primarily on:
- Personal injury
- Construction injury
- Back Injury
- Spine Injury
- Brain Injury
- Injuries to the neck, knees and shoulders
- Falling protection, crane, scaffold, iron beams
- Automobile Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Wrongful death
- Railroad injuries
- Riverboat & Maritime Injuries
- Product liability
- General negligence (carelessness)
- Premises liability
In those cases, Cliff has represented workers and other people who have endured a wide variety of injuries and medical conditions, including:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Fractures to the hips, legs, pelvis, ankles and wrists
- Shoulder and rotator cuff injuries
- Knee, elbow and ankle fractures, tears, arthritis, surgeries
- Chronic arthritic conditions
- Fractured vertebrae and herniated discs
- Chronic pain
- Soft tissue injuries
- Chronic pain syndrome (CPS)
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) and causalgia
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
- How Should You Choose A Lawyer?
Clifford Horwitz has won virtually every case he has tried since he began practicing law with one quarter of his jury verdicts being record-setting verdicts. To review his results, please see his Success Record. These types of results are not coincidence, but are due to Cliff’s dual purpose in life:
- To take care of his family
- To take care of his clients
Clifford W. Horwitz has been practicing law for thirty years and is a third generation trial lawyer. He proudly follows after his grandfather and father, both trial lawyers. Cliff believes his father conditioned him to be a trial lawyer from a young age.
“I have always liked to argue with my father. He made me argue like a lawyer from a young age.” But, in addition, “helping my clients gives my life more meaning.”
This is why Cliff rountinely gives his cell phone number out to his clients and invites them to call him any time during the day or night. “Developing a relationship based on trust is critical to every relationship with every client I represent,” said Horwitz.
Cliff is repeatedly referred cases by union leaders, elected officials and physicians, as well as former clients.
- In Depth Look
Cliff requires a team-oriented environment where lawyers from the Horwitz firm enjoy the resources, the support, the time and the freedom to do what is best for injured clients. The firm’s strategy is to place highly skilled and experienced lawyers as trial lawyers, position them where they are the strongest, and partner them up with other lawyers in their positions of strength. It is no different than finding the attributes of your best players on a football, basketball or hockey team and putting them in a position to succeed.
A structured and detail-oriented trial lawyer, Cliff has invested heavily in technology to provide the highest level of efficiency for clients. The firm’s systems are entirely paperless, with the fastest and highest-quality computer technology.
Unlike some law firms that focus entirely on workers’ compensation claims, Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates has different departments that concentrate on different areas of law. Many of the firm’s workers’ compensation lawyers have over 25 years of experience in resolving cases.
When companies other than the employer share in some of the legal responsibility for an injury, the firm’s third party department takes over that portion of the case. Rather than referring these portions out to other law firms, the Horwitz firm develops a comprehensive legal strategy from the start designed to maximize each client’s financial recovery.
Some of Cliff’s more interesting recoveries can be found by clicking on the following line: verdicts and settlements.
Cliff has also handled pro-bono cases, cut fees when it was fair to do so, and kept the client’s interests first.
A graduate of New Trier High School, the University of Florida, and Loyola University School of Law, Cliff was born and currently lives in Chicago, where the two most important things in his life are his family and representing the injured.
- Honors and Awards
- Selected by peers as a 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 Leading Lawyer, a distinction earned by the top 5 percent of lawyers in Illinois
- Selected to the Executive Board for Leading Lawyers
- Clifford Horwitz won what was the largest personal injury verdict in Illinois history, click to read more.
- Selected as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer in the United States of America by the National Trial Lawyers
- Cliff is recognized by Super Lawyers as an “Illinois Super Lawyer.” Super Lawyers is a listing of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- The Cook County Jury Verdict Reporter has identified that one quarter of Cliff’s jury verdicts have been record-setting verdicts.
- Cliff has also received numerous awards due to the time he has spent contributing to various charities and the funds he has created for disabled persons.
- Honorary society of Phi Kappa Phi.
- AVVO Rating of 10 out of 10
- Recognized by Leading Lawyers
- Invited Member, American Association for Justice
- Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Cliff has also received recommendations of numerous construction union officials throughout the state of Illinois to their members and the repeated written and verbal praise from Cliff’s clients who have seen just how much of his life he devotes to their cases.
- Professional Associations
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Will County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Appellate and Supreme Court Arguments
- Kirk v. Michael Reese Hospital
- Smith v. Capital Construction
- Publications and Presentations
Cliff has published more than 100 articles in various newspapers and has spoken to a wide variety of union members and other groups about their legal rights.
- Loyola University School of Law (J.D., 1984)
- University of Florida (B.A., 1981)
- Illinois, 1984
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit