Workers’ compensation is insurance that benefits employees who are injured or become ill due to their jobs. Benefits can include medical expenses, income replacement, and more.

If you have been injured on the job, get legal assistance from a qualified Joliet personal injury lawyer. A lawyer can help you file your claim and ensure you receive the total amount you are entitled to.

Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates has a legal legacy dating back nearly 100 years. We know the ins and outs of the workers’ compensation system and can help you get the benefits you need and deserve.

Please call us at (800) 985-1819 today for a free consultation with a skilled Joliet workers compensation lawyer.

Joliet workers compensation lawer

What is worker’s compensation?

Worker’s compensation benefits workers injured or ill due to their job. State governments usually administer the program, which is often part of social welfare programs.

Injuries on the job can include slips and falls and illnesses contracted from working in a particular environment, such as exposure to hazardous materials.

Medical expenses covered by workers’ compensation may include initial treatment and follow-up care, while income replacement may be provided for a certain period. Sometimes, death benefits may be paid to the worker’s family members.

Workers’ compensation is mandatory in Illinois, meaning employers must provide coverage for their employees. However, there are some exceptions, such as for self-employed workers.

If you were injured or became ill due to your work duties, speaking with a Joliet workers compensation lawyer is important. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and guide you through filing a claim.

Worker’s Compensation Coverage in Joliet

If you were injured on the job in Joliet, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.

In Joliet, workers’ compensation coverage is mandatory for any employer with at least one employee – even a part-time worker. An exception is employers with family members as their only employees.

According to the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, sole proprietors, business partners, corporate officers, and members of limited liability companies may exempt themselves.

Workers’ compensation covers All types of jobs, including manual labor, clerical work, and dozens of other positions and roles.

If you’re concerned about receiving the full benefits you’re entitled to or believe your employer failed to meet their requirements, contact Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates today at (800) 985-1819.

What do I do if I’ve been hurt on the job?

You may wonder what to do next if you’ve been hurt on the job. Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Inform Your Employer

Inform your employer as soon as you are hurt. Although Illinois law states that you have a maximum of 45 days to report the accident, it’s best to start the process sooner rather than later.

Under Illinois law, employers must report injuries that result in three or more days of missed work to the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission (IWCC).

It would be best to give your supervisor updates on your condition. They should be fully aware of the circumstances of your accident and either provide you with a list of approved doctors or let you choose your own.

2. Seek Medical Attention

Always seek medical attention as soon as possible after your accident.

If your employer is part of a Preferred Provider Program (PPP), they should provide you with a list of approved doctors. If they’re not, you can choose two doctors of your own. You can also select your doctor even if your employer is part of PPP, but you can only visit one instead of two.

Ensure you keep all your medical records and bills for your workers’ compensation claim.

3. Collect information

In addition to seeking medical attention, you should collect information about the accident.

This includes the time and date, location, and circumstances surrounding the accident.

If possible, you should also take pictures of the scene.

All of this information will be helpful if you file a workers’ compensation claim.

4. Hire a Joliet Workers Compensation Lawyer

A lawyer will be able to help you with the filing process and will also be able to represent you in court if necessary.

They will also make sure you receive the benefits that you deserve.

If you have been injured, don’t hesitate to contact a Joliet workers compensation lawyer.

What if my spouse was killed on the job?

If you are the surviving spouse of someone who was killed on the job, you may be entitled to receive workers’ compensation death benefits.

Surviving spouses are entitled to benefits equal to two years of the workers’ compensation, to be paid in a lump sum.

You should speak with a Joliet workers’ compensation lawyer to determine if you qualify for these benefits.

What Are Common Causes of Work-Related Accidents?


Lifting commonly causes on-the-job injuries, especially if employees are not adequately trained.

Lifting can cause back injuries, which are one of the most common types of workplace injuries. They are often severe and result in lengthy recoveries.

If you were injured due to lifting heavy objects at work, call Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates.


When workers are tired, they are more likely to make mistakes.

This can lead to slips, trips, falls, and many other injuries caused by reduced awareness.

If you have been injured due to fatigue, you should speak to a Joliet workers’ compensation lawyer.


Dehydration is a severe condition with symptoms ranging from headaches and dizziness to fatigue and cramping.

It can also make employees more susceptible to heat-related illnesses like heat stroke.

Poor Lighting

Poor lighting is a completely preventable common cause of on-the-job injuries.

With inadequate lighting, it’s too easy for employees to stumble, fall, or make mistakes with dangerous equipment.

If you were injured in a poorly lit work environment, call (800) 985-1819.

Hazardous Materials

Workers who are exposed to hazardous materials can suffer illness, burns, lung damage, and even death. Some hazardous materials ignite and cause fires and explosions.

To protect workers, employers must ensure that authorized personnel know how to properly store and handle hazardous materials.

Don’t take risks if you are injured by exposure to hazardous materials. Talk to a Joliet workers’ compensation lawyer.

Slips and Falls

Slips and falls are one of the most common types of work-related accidents. They’re the leading cause of death in the workplace.

These accidents often happen because spills or debris were not cleared from an area within an appropriate amount of time.

You should speak to a Joliet workers’ compensation lawyer if you have been injured in a slip-and-fall.


Workers who overexert themselves can often suffer serious injuries, such as heart attacks and strokes.

Additionally, it can often lead to back injuries and other painful conditions that could have been avoided had they not had to overexert themselves.


Workplace violence can lead to injuries and even death.

Workers should be aware of their surroundings and report any dangerous behavior, from threats and aggression to unsafe work practices.

Every employer should help prevent workplace violence where possible. If yours didn’t, speak to a Joliet workers’ compensation lawyer.


When workers are under tremendous stress, they have trouble maintaining focus.

Additionally, stress can often lead to long-term health problems with severe consequences, such as heart attacks and strokes.

Lack of Training

There’s no excuse for a lack of training, but it always happens.

Employers may not thoroughly train or test new hires on safety practices to meet time demands. In some instances, they may hire someone who does not have the proper certifications to carry out hazardous jobs.

This leads to every type of accident, from truck and forklift accidents to lacerations on the production line.

If you were hurt by an untrained coworker’s negligence, contact a Joliet workers compensation lawyer with Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates.

Is there a time limit to file a work injury case?

Usually, the time limit to file a work injury case is three years from the date of the injury.

Always report an injury as soon as you know it and begin your claim immediately afterward.

If you wait too long, you may lose your chance to file a claim and receive compensation for your injuries.

Don’t lose your right to compensation. Contact an experienced Joliet workers’ compensation lawyer as soon as possible to get started on your case.

What qualifies as a disability?

Disability is generally considered an impairment that limits a person’s ability to work.

Disabilities can include physical, mental, and sensory impairments.

If your work capacity has been reduced due to an injury, you may be able to receive benefits from workers’ compensation.

To learn more about workers’ compensation and disability benefits, contact an experienced attorney.

What are the most dangerous jobs in Illinois?

Illinois’s most dangerous jobs include construction, manufacturing, and transportation.

These jobs are often dangerous because they involve working with heavy machinery or hazardous conditions.

Having a job that may be considered dangerous doesn’t mean you should bear full responsibility for an injury. After you see a doctor, get legal representation.

Contact a Joliet Workers Compensation Lawyer Today.

The attorneys at Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates have fought and won for injured workers and their families since 1924.

With more than a billion dollars recovered for our clients, we know what it takes to successfully resolve your claim.

Contact us as soon as possible. The Horwitz family has protected the interests of Illinois workers for three generations, and we’re ready to hear your story.

Worker’s Compensation Questions and Answers

Why do I need a work injury lawyer?

A work injury lawyer can help you file a workers’ compensation claim. They can also help ensure you receive the total benefits you’re eligible for.

Your employer and their insurance provider may not acknowledge the full extent of your losses and pay you less. An attorney who is working for you, not the insurance company, helps prevent this from happening.

Can I sue my employer?

In most cases, you cannot sue your employer for an on-the-job injury.

Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system, meaning you do not have to prove that your employer was negligent to receive benefits.

To learn more, contact an experienced Joliet workers’ compensation lawyer.

How much is my worker’s compensation case worth?

The value of a worker’s compensation case can vary depending on the individual case.

However, your lawyer will help you calculate the value of your case and will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.

What is a third-party claim?

A third-party claim is against a party other than your employer or the workers’ compensation insurance company.

For example, if you were injured in a car accident while on the job, you may be able to file a third-party claim against the other car’s driver.

Third-party claims can be complex, which is another excellent reason to have an experienced Joliet workers’ compensation lawyer on your side.