Ella Doyle Killed In Chicago Electrocution Accident
Unsafe Premises - August 17, 2023
University of Dayton Student Ella Doyle Died In Chicago Electrocution Accident
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (August 17, 2023) – A University of Dayton student identified as Ella Doyle has tragically died in a Chicago electrocution accident.
Cook County officials are saying that the accident took place on Saturday. Ella Doyle was involved in an electrical accident at an unknown location along Chicago’s public train system.
Firefighters and paramedics were called to the scene in order to help the victim. Despite life-saving measures, Ella Doyle died due to her injuries.
The University of Dayton is holding a memorial service during the upcoming fall semester. A full investigation into the accident remains ongoing at this time.
Liability For Chicago Electrocution Accidents
Electrical hazards are a constant danger both inside of and outside of the workplace. According to Nickle Electrical, “Electrocutions from wiring hazards, including damaged or exposed wiring and household wiring, totaled about 20 percent. Annually, electrical hazards are listed as the cause of about 4,000 injuries.” There are a number of steps that property owners should take in order to prevent electrical accidents.
- Properties should be regularly inspected by a licensed electrician.
- Electrical fixtures and outlets outdoors should be properly weatherproofed.
- Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GCIFs) should be installed in areas with water exposure.
- Property owners should avoid doing any DIY electrical work and leave electrical jobs to licensed professionals.
Depending on the facts of any case, a property owner could face civil liability for any electrical accident. Pursuant to Illinois Civil Code (740 ILCS 130/1), property owners must maintain their property in a reasonably safe condition. When a property owner has actual or constructive notice of a dangerous condition with their property, they must take action to remedy the danger. Failing to take action in such a circumstance could form the basis of a negligence claim. There are many ways that a property owner could have created an electrical hazard.
- A property owner may have failed to de-energize an area where guests are likely to frequent.
- A property owner may have failed to warn about an area with electrical hazards.
- A property owner could have failed to instal Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GCIFs) in outdoor areas.
It can be hard to know where to begin after any accident. To make matters worse, property owners are almost never completely transparent about an accident on their premises. It is important for victims of electrocution accidents to understand that they do have rights. The family of any person that died from an electrocution accident may have legal recourse through a civil claim. It is important that evidence is properly preserved after any accident. Evidence is crucial in demonstrating liability.
Investigating Chicago Electrocution Accidents
We at Horwitz Horwitz & Associates extend our deepest condolences to the family of Ella Doyle. Any person that may have more information about what happened should reach out to investigators. It is our sincere hope that steps are taken to prevent other tragedies like this.
Do you need more information about a Chicago electrocution accident? Our team of consumer safety advocates are here to answer any questions that you may have. We care deeply that accident victims are aware of their rights and that property owners are doing everything in their power to keep guests safe. Whether you just have legal questions or need a free, independent investigation into any incident we are here for you. You can reach out to us anytime at (312) 564-4256.