Ghusein Ghusein Died In Oak Lawn House Fire

Space Heater Identified As Possible Cause Of House Fire That Killed 54-Year-Old Ghusein Ghusein In Oak Lawn

Ghusein Ghusein Died In Oak Lawn House Fire

OAK LAWN, ILLINOIS (November 18, 2023) – A 54-year-old man identified as Ghusein Ghusein has tragically died in an Oak Lawn house fire along South 69th Street.

Cook County officials are saying that the accident took place last Saturday. A fire broke out inside of the home and firefighters were called to the scene.

Firefighters entered the home and managed to pull Ghusein Ghusein out of the house. The victim was seriously injured and transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center.

Despite life-saving measures, Ghusein Ghusein was pronounced dead on Tuesday. Fire officials said that a space heater may have been the cause of the deadly fire.

A full investigation remains ongoing at this time.

Liability For Oak Lawn Space Heater Fires

Space heaters are actually involved in a large number of structure fires. According to the U.S. PIRG Education Fund, “In the cold winter months, a space heater can be a helpful way to keep your home at a comfortable temperature. But space heaters can also pose a fire hazard, especially if they are used incorrectly or don’t meet current safety standards. Each year, about 1,700 fires, 80 deaths and 160 injuries are caused by portable space heaters as estimated by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).” There are many steps that can be taken to prevent space heater fires.

  • Space heaters should be kept three feet away from flammable materials like carpets, rugs and bedding.
  • Space heaters should be tested according to the latest safety standards.
  • The wires on space heaters should be checked for fraying or overheating.

Depending on the facts of any case, the company that manufactured a space heater could be liable if it starts a fire that results in injury or death. Companies must create products that are reasonably safe and warn about the non-obvious dangers associated with the use of their products. Most product liability claims fall under one of three categories: design defects, marketing defects and manufacturing defects. There are a number of ways that a space heater may have been defective and contributed to a fire.

  • A space heater may have had a defective design. For example, some space heaters  lack an on-off switch and can only be disconnected by unplugging the device from an outlet.
  • A space heater may have been made of faulty material which could melt at higher temperatures.
  • A space heater may lack adequate valves to ensure certain fumes and other dangerous chemicals do not leak out.
  • A space heater may lack safety mechanisms that force an automatic shutoff when overheating occurs.

Consider, for example, the lawsuit against Vornado Air LLC who manufactured space heaters. The company sold the VH101 Personal Vortex Heater which was later recalled because it posed an unreasonable fire hazard. In particular, the space heater was prone to overheating. The company eventually had to pay a $7.5 million civil penalty to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Any person that is injured by a faulty space heater may have legal recourse through a civil claim.

Investigating Oak Lawn Space Heater Fires

We at Horwitz Horwitz & Associates extend our deepest condolences to the family of Ghusein Ghusein. Any person that may have more information should reach out to investigators. There are so many questions that still need to be answered. Was the space heater involved in this fire defective? Was it on a list of recalled products? Has the model been involved in other house fires?

Do you need more information about a Cook County space heater fire? Our team of consumer safety advocates are here to answer any questions that you may have. We have extensive experience with faulty consumer products that have caused fires. Whether you just have legal questions or need a free, independent investigation into any home fire we are here for you. You can reach out to us anytime at (312) 564-4256.