Woman Died, Six Injured In Chicago Boat Accident Near Breakwall
Wrongful Death - July 31, 2023
One Woman Died, Six People Hospitalized After Boat Crashed Into A Breakwall By Chicago’s Playpen
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (July 31, 2023) – One woman has died and six people were injured after a boat capsized after striking a Chicago breakwall on Lake Michigan.
Cook County officials are saying that the incident took place around 4:00 a.m. Friday. There were heavy winds on Lake Michigan when a boat struck a Chicago breakwall.
The force of the impact caused the boat to capsize by Chicago’s Playpen. A 20-year-old became trapped underneath the boat and did not survive.
Six other people were injured and taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. They were listed in fair to serious condition.
A full investigation into the accident remains ongoing at this time.
Liability For Chicago Boat Accidents
Boat accidents are far more common than many people may realize. According to Statista, “In the United States, 767 people died as a result of boating accidents and 3,191 people were injured in 2020. Over the past 16 years, this figure decreased by over one and a half thousand.” There are a number of common causes of boat accidents.
- Operator error is one of the most common causes of boat accidents. In particular, less experienced boat operators are more likely to make critical errors.
- Inclement weather is another major cause of boat accidents. Boats are difficult to operate in the best of circumstances. Weather conditions on lake Michigan can change rapidly and make operating a boat very dangerous.
- Mechanical failures can also contribute to a boat accident. Boats must be properly maintained and well inspected. But even if a boat is regularly maintained, a design defect could lead to a catastrophic failure down the road.
Depending on the facts of any case, there could be numerous sources of liability for a boat accident. The company that manufactured the boat could be held at fault. Companies have a legal responsibility to manufacture products that are reasonably safe. Most product liability claims will be based on manufacturing defects, design defects, marketing defects or breaches of warranty. There are a number of steps that should be taken after any boat accident.
- Eye witnesses should be interviewed.
- Medical records should be preserved.
- The cause of the boat crash should be determined.
- The police report of the accident should be examined.
It can be hard to know what to do after any boat accident. Many victims will need to take extensive time off of work. Others may be left with permanent and life-altering disabilities. Any person that is injured in a boat accident may have legal recourse through a civil claim. It is important that all evidence is preserved after any accident. Evidence is what will ultimately be used to determine liability.
Investigating Accidents At Chicago’s Playpen
We at Horwitz Horwitz & Associates extend our deepest condolences to the family of the woman that died in this boat accident by Chicago’s Playpen. It is our sincere hope that measures are taken to prevent other boats from inadvertently hitting the breakwall. Any person that may have more information about what happened should reach out to police.
Have you or someone that you care about been harmed in a boat accident on Lake Michigan? There are a number of laws designed to help you. Our team of boat safety advocates are here to answer any questions that you may have. We care deeply that accident victims are aware of their rights and that those rights are being protected. Whether you just have legal questions or need any type of support we are here for you. You can reach out to us anytime at (312) 564-4256.