What to do if You Are Hit by an Unlicensed Driver?

Everyone knows that you have to have a driver’s license to operate a vehicle legally on the roadways in Chicago and throughout Illinois. However, what happens if you are injured or sustain property damage in a vehicle accident caused by an unlicensed driver? Here, we will examine the insurance claims process involved in accidents caused by unlicensed drivers as well as whether or not you should work with an attorney for your claim.

What to do if You Are Hit by an Unlicensed Driver

Is an Unlicensed Driver Automatically Responsible?

One of the most common questions about these types of crashes is whether or not the unlicensed driver will automatically be at fault for the incident. The reality is that they will not automatically be at fault. The same fault rules apply regardless of whether or not the drivers involved in the incident have a valid driver’s license.

We can imagine a scenario where an unlicensed driver is struck by a driver impaired by alcohol. Typically, we will see that the impaired driver is the one responsible for the incident, and it will not matter whether or not the other driver was unlicensed or licensed. 

If you have been involved in an accident with an unlicensed driver, you need to proceed forward just like any other vehicle accident. This means taking the steps necessary to document the incident, gather the evidence needed to prove liability, and seek medical care as soon as possible. You are not responsible for punishing a person because they do not have a license. That will be the job of any law enforcement official who responds to the scene to handle the incident.

The Driver May Not Have Insurance

One important thing to keep in mind after an accident with an unlicensed driver is that it is not uncommon for these individuals also not to have insurance coverage. Illinois law requires all drivers to maintain a minimum level of liability insurance in case they are involved in an accident. If you are involved in an accident with an unlicensed driver who does not have insurance, the only way for you to recover compensation will be to file a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver or to turn to your personal uninsured motorist coverage.

Work With an Attorney Today

If you or somebody you love has been involved in a vehicle accident with an unlicensed driver, you may need to reach out to a skilled car accident attorney in Chicago immediately. When you work with an attorney, you will have an advocate by your side who can handle every aspect of the claim on your behalf. This will include investigating the incident, gathering evidence to prove liability, and handling all negotiations with other parties involved. The ultimate goal is to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost income, and property damage expenses. Regardless of whether or not the other driver was licensed, you should still be able to recover the compensation you need.

Claims against unlicensed drivers can be challenging, particularly if the other driver does not have insurance and if they do not have the personal assets necessary to cover your expenses.