Chicago’s Most Dangerous Intersections
Car Accident,Personal Injury - December 22, 2021
Accidents are not uncommon throughout the Chicago area, particularly at intersections. However, do you know which intersections in the Windy City are the most dangerous for drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians? Here, we want to review some of Chicago’s most dangerous intersections so you can take steps to remain safe when you are around these areas.
Why Are Chicago Intersections Dangerous?
Intersections, at the very nature, are more hazardous than other areas of the roadway. This is true regardless of where you are, not just in Chicago. Intersections are where individuals all converge in the same area, usually hoping to accomplish different goals. In Chicago, one of the main hazards related to intersections includes the fact that there are often so many lanes all in one place. Some other hazards include:
- Unclear directions for turning
- Traffic signals that do not work or are not properly timed for heavy traffic
- Poor lighting
- Poorly marked crosswalks
- No bicycle lanes in some areas
- Regular construction or urban planning projects
Which Intersections Present Most Risk?
If you are a resident in Chicago, you likely have an idea about which intersection presents the most problems for you personally. However, here, we want to take a moment to recognize five of the most dangerous intersections in the Windy City:
- Belmont and Kedzie. This intersection is right below the Kenney underpass. This is considered a dangerous intersection because it is difficult to see, and it is often like the vehicles entering and exiting the Expressway seem to come from nowhere.
- Cicero and I-55. Individuals consider this intersection dangerous because of how many travelers converge on this area coming and going out of Midway International Airport.
- Irving Park, Cicero, and Milwaukee. This intersection is known for its six corners, and has a large number of shopping centers and awkward side streets. Not only is this intersection bad for driving, but also for cycling and walking.
- Stony Island, 79th and South Chicago. This is a six-way intersection that is just complicated all the way around. This is located beneath various entrance and exit ramps for the Chicago skyway, and the beams here do add visibility problems.
- North, Damen, and Milwaukee. When you come to this intersection, you can often count on traffic being backed up in at least three different directions.
Contact an Attorney
These are just some of the most dangerous intersections in the city. If you or somebody you care about has been injured or sustained property damage as a result of the careless or negligent actions of another driver in Chicago, we encourage you to turn to a skilled Chicago car accident attorney as soon as possible. Securing compensation in the aftermath of an intersection accident can be challenging, particularly when it comes to determining liability for the incident. When you have an attorney by your side, you will have an advocate who can investigate the incident, gather the evidence needed to prove liability, and handle all negotiations with the insurance carriers. Your ultimate goal is to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, property damage expenses, and pain and suffering losses. Trying to handle these claims on your own could result in you recovering very little to no compensation at all.