If you were injured in a construction accident, get in contact with a Joliet construction accident attorney who understands the complexities of workers’ compensation law and can help you get the benefits you deserve.

Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates can help. Our Joliet personal injury attorneys have helped injured workers like you recover from their injuries and get the money they deserve for over three generations.

We have the experience and resources to get the best results for you. Contact us at (800) 985-1819 today for a free consultation.

A Joliet construction accident attorney can help you if you've been injured

What are the common causes of construction accidents?

From unclean workspaces to inadequate harness equipment, these are a few common causes of construction site accidents.

  • Falling debris
  • Slip and falls
  • Electrocution
  • Being crushed
  • Falling from tall heights
  • Unsafe equipment
  • Lack of proper safety precautions
  • Untidy construction zone
  • Insufficient safety equipment
  • Improper personal protection equipment (PPE) when dealing with hazardous materials.

Additionally, there is a higher risk of an electric shock when working with live wires near water sources. This can be especially dangerous if the worker is wet or standing in water. Contact with energized wires can cause severe injuries, including death.

You can’t always leave it up to your employer to do right by you. They may not consistently enforce the proper safety protocols or provide the appropriate safety equipment.

That’s why a Joliet construction accident lawyer is here – to help you stay healthy and provide for yourself and your family.

What should you do if you’re injured on a construction job?

If you’re injured on a construction site, you should immediately get in touch with your supervisor or the project’s general contractor.

Typically, they will file a report and let you know whether or not compensation is available to you through workers’ comp. If so, your medical bills and wages will be covered by the insurance policy.

If your injuries are too severe to be covered by workers’ compensation, or you feel that your employer may have caused you intentional harm, consider filing a lawsuit. Make sure that you document the extent of your injuries and take photographs before any necessary medical treatment is performed.

This documentation will help strengthen your case later on down the road if it goes to court.

Who can be held liable for a construction accident?

The responsible (liable) party is an individual or business that failed to uphold its duty of care.

For example, if a crane operator is not keeping a proper lookout for people on the ground or if a subcontractor is using faulty equipment, they could be held liable for your injury. If you are filing suit against a third-party worker, you’ll need to show that they were negligent in their actions.

The building owner may also be held liable if they allow their employees to work in an unsafe environment. They could also be held responsible if the general contractor did not enforce safety measures.

It can sometimes be challenging to prove who is actually liable for your accident, but an attorney knows. Call an experienced Joliet construction accident attorney at (800) 985-1819.

How is Fault Determined in Construction Accidents?

For a workers’ compensation claim, all you need to do is prove that the accident happened during your employment and at the workplace.

A personal injury case, on the other hand, requires proof of fault. The person who caused your injuries may be held liable for any resulting damages.

In some cases, it can be challenging to determine who was at fault. It may even be unclear if anyone was responsible for your injuries.

Pain and Suffering Damages

For some people, the injuries resulting from a construction site accident are so severe that they permanently interfere with their ability to live an everyday life. Pain and suffering damages are a type of non-economic damages. They are damages you did not receive a bill for and can be difficult to calculate on your own.

These types of damages also cover more intangible costs like loss of consortium and mental anguish.

In many cases, the amount of money it takes to compensate someone for their pain and suffering can be significant. Accordingly, a claim may have to be filed to receive these damages.

Be advised that you cannot file for non-economic damages in a workers’ compensation claim. This can significantly limit your compensation for your injuries.

Product Liability

Defective scaffolding and ladders cause construction accidents all of the time. This introduces the concept of product liability.

In cases where someone has been injured due to a defective product, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer. You might also need to find out more information about how the product was made and stored, as well as who manufactured and sold it.

This is one of the most common reasons for filing a personal injury lawsuit instead of a workers’ compensation claim.

At Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates, our lawyers are dedicated to helping victims of negligent companies win the compensation they deserve. If you or someone you love has been injured in a construction site accident, contact us today for a free consultation at (800) 985-1819.

How Can I Receive Financial Compensation for a Construction Accident?

If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction accident, you may be able to receive compensation for your damages. Construction companies and their insurance providers work to protect themselves from financial responsibility if their negligence causes the accident.

That is where we come in. If you have been involved in an accident on-site, you must speak to someone about your situation immediately. We can help you determine who is responsible for your injuries.

The first step in getting the compensation you deserve is proving that the construction company was negligent in its safety measures. Our lawyers will work to gather evidence to support your case and attempt to prove that the company was at fault.

After that, the next step is to determine what damages you are entitled to. Damages can include compensation for your medical expenses, emotional trauma, and missed work. Damages can even include any long-term care and loss of enjoyment of life due to your injury.

We understand the complex process of filing a claim and will guide you every step of the way. Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates has successfully obtained more than ONE BILLION dollars in verdicts and settlements. There is no firm more dedicated to getting you all of the compensation you are entitled to.

How do I File for Workers’ Compensation After a Construction Accident?

Several requirements must be met before you can file for workers’ compensation. First, you must have been injured while on the job. This can include while on the premises or while off premises but still on the clock.

You must also prove that you were covered by the state’s workers’ compensation program at the time of your injury and that your employer is subject to the state’s criteria for worker protection.

Typically, after an accident occurs, you need to report what happened to your employer. If they do not file a report on your behalf, you should do so yourself as soon as possible.

How do I File a Lawsuit for a Construction Accident Injury?

Although Illinois law disallows employees from suing their employers (except in particular situations), you could be able to file a lawsuit against a third party, such as the building owner or general contractor who was responsible for maintaining safe conditions during construction.

You can also file suit against subcontractors or vendors involved with the project.

If you were injured on a construction site, it can be challenging to know what your legal rights are and how to go about getting the compensation that you deserve.

You may not have realized that your working conditions were unsafe or that people could be held responsible for your injuries.

To determine if you have a case, speak with an experienced Joliet construction accident lawyer from our firm today. We can help you understand the facts behind your accident and find out if filing a lawsuit is right for you.

What damages can a Joliet construction accident attorney help me recover?

Economic damages typically refer to the quantifiable losses that have been suffered, such as medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. These can include any medical treatments, bills, physical therapy, necessary travel expenses, or lingering costs.

Remember, you cannot get pain and suffering damages from a worker’s compensation claim. If you would like to pursue these claims, a personal injury lawsuit must be filed.

Your Joliet construction accident lawyer will be able to help you calculate the total amount of damages that you are owed.

Is There A Statute of Limitations for Construction Accidents in Joliet, IL?

You must report the initial incident that caused the injury within 45 days of it happening to be allowed to file a worker’s compensation claim in Illinois. If a worker’s injury was fatal, they encountered a legal disability, or they were exposed to radioactive materials, more time will be allowed for them or their families to file a claim.

Contact a Leading Joliet Construction Accident Attorney Today

After you’ve been injured in a workplace accident, you need compensation for your medical bills and lost wages. Our experienced Joliet construction accident lawyers are dedicated to representing victims of negligence throughout the state of Illinois.

Call Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates at (800) 985-1819 to speak with one of our lawyers free of charge and get the compensation you deserve.