Every day, the health and dignity of an estimated 100,000 nursing home residents in the state of Illinois is placed into the hands of those who have a legal obligation and a moral duty to care for their needs with compassion and professionalism.
For those who are left hungry, improperly restrained or drugged, suffering from the pain of preventable bedsores, or haunted by fear of repeated nursing home abuse, our Chicago nursing home lawyers’ aggressively secure your rights and hold those accountable.
Advocacy and Accountability
At Horwitz, Horwitz & Associates, we’ve always been committed to aggressively fighting for the rights of the injured and neglected within the nursing home environment. But over the years we’ve also come to realize that much can be done to help reduce the occurrence and severity of resident injury through consumer education.
Protect My Parents is designed to help adult children, family members, and legal guardians who are facing one of the most difficult decisions on earth… placing a parent or loved one within an assisted living or long-term care environment.
Protect My Parents is about taking control of those things that are within your power when choosing where to place your loved one, as well as the power of an experienced legal team second-to-none if an injury from suspected abuse or neglect has occurred.
Signs and Symptoms of Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
Knowing the signs and symptoms of nursing home abuse and neglect can help you protect your loved and learn when to seek the help of an experienced attorney if you suspect abuse or neglect has occurred.
Nursing Home Checklist Tool
We want you to know what to look for in patient rooms, general gathering areas, hallways and bathrooms, menus and meals, and more.
No-Cost Review of Nursing Home Contract
Get a No-Charge Review of ANY Nursing Home Contract… Before (Recommended) Or After You Place Your Loved One!
Nursing Home Verdicts and Settlements
Review our Record of Success when it comes to Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Signs and Symptoms of Nursing Abuse and Neglect
Signs of Physical Abuse
- Unreasonable physical restraint
- Open wounds, cuts, bruises or welts
- Slapping, pushing, shaking, or beating
- Unexplained injuries
Signs of Neglect
- Dehydration, malnutrition, and bed sores
- Lack of personal hygiene, food, clothing, or shelter
- Unsanitary and unclean conditions
Signs of Verbal and Emotional Abuse
- Emotionally upset or agitated
- Extremely withdrawn and non-communicative
- Unusual behavior (sucking, biting, rocking)
- Humiliating, insulting, frightening, threatening or ignoring behavior towards family and friends
- Wanting to be isolated from other people
Our Legal Team
As a client, you can rely upon the strength of our trial experience, which includes managing partner Cliff Horwitz and Jay Luchsinger, who have not lost a trial together in 29 years, as well as one of the most competent legal teams found in our state. Our strength of resources ensure that your case will receive the highest level of attention it deserves, the top experts warranted, and an unwavering commitment to full justice under the law.
Meet The 'Protect My Parents' Legal Team
The Nursing Home Checklist Tool
At Protect My Parents we want you to feel armed with the right questions to ask when evaluating a nursing home for rehabilitation or long-term care.
Even better, we want you to know what to look for in patient rooms, general gathering areas, hallways and bathrooms, menus and meals, and more.
Tips for using the Nursing Home Checklist Tool:
- Print multiple copies, one for each facility you visit
- Complete and easy recall of “Good vs. Unfavorable” items you noticed
- A guide to important questions to ask the facility administrator
- Easily share with siblings and other loved ones helping with the decision
- Use the items listed to help you determine what “special” services are/are not provided that your loved one may need included in their ‘personalized care plan’
- Gather information for follow-up research
- Check performance/citations of Illinois nursing homes
- Example: Name of facility physician. The facility physician is different than your loved one’s primary care doctor. Obtain his/her name to research the number of monthly sedative and/or psychotropic drugs they prescribe compared to other facility physicians listed in the community database. Is it unusually high? That might be a red flag.
We also hope you’ll take advantage of our Free Contract Review program before you or your loved one signs on the dotted line, assuring any contract keeps your loved one’s legal and financial rights intact.
Free Nursing Home Contract Review
Get A No-Charge Review of ANY Nursing Home Contract …Before You Place Your Loved One!